Friday, December 23, 2005

(S)Election of a leader

mdp elects a new leader. a leader who would lead us to a post maumoon era. let me personally congratulate ibra for winning this vote and all others for securing their seats within mdp.
As I was saying in my previous post about the division within mdp, that is between the addu runners and the male' elites are obvious-i dont want this widening gap between the two factions to become the demise of this party. I am not trying to recapitulate what people have written on other pro government websites. but I agree to the fact that none of the addu candidates were elected, this does say a lot in terms of the popular creed within mdp ledership and where mdp is heading. I have become more and more wary of mdp dealings now that the results are public. how did mdp, fighting for the very ideals of democracy end up looking so skewed?
I do not say that the votes were rigged. this was a fair election unlike all of maumoon's elections done in 26 years.... However one should not only stress about the working procedure of the election but also the system it use..this election clearly unmasked the flaws of democarcy. how could a small nation like us try to mimic a western style democracy from letter to letter? How could 200 or so voters represent the ideals of a whole population. yes yes..they were representatives, i agree. But does the people representing these people have a say on what these representatives voted for? this would have worked in a mature democracy where these representatives were really "representatives" of a certain distict. I also do not think that the populations of rural islands knew what was going on... why did mdp not hold a country wide poll in electing the positions.. this was one time that this nation could have been proud to elect a leader and really nullify maumoon's farcical elections? how could mdp even think that this population is mature enough to have a party election in such a scurry and suddenly elect a LEADER? no one doubts that this is how its conducted in other democratic nations.. but as I have been saying in all my posts,, we are different, we need a system that suits us.. and the way mdp elected the party leaders are unfair and undemocratic.
I am pretty sure mdp knew this.. yes they knew.. yet they went ahead cause they wanted specific individuals to hold certain positions... and their excuse was that this was the way it was done in other countries. what a cheap excuse. I am utterly disgusted that the members of mdp had not voiced out their concerns regarding their own party's conduct. true empowerment is when one could critically be self reflexive and look at her/his own self and own party to root out flaws. anyways may be I am the only one sweating about this and this was really the popular yearnings of the people.. As for me I will still hold on to what I have said and from this day will not support mdp...

In my quest to figure out which party to sign up, I have been able to eliminate .. drp and mdp as my choices.. however anni will still remain as my hero regardless of his position in mdp.

anyways enough grousing.. I was also pondering why Dr. waheed did not get elected. he certainly seemed popular, definitely amongst mdp general public. my only impression is that people want someone with louder rhetoric unlike waheed who seems to be much more prudent. Having said that, days of diplomacy with maumoon is over and looks like ibra is the kind of person who can drag maumoon down- diplomatically or not.. I will be waiting to see Dr. Waheed's next step. Funny thing is that Ibra being the mdp leader is so much better for drp as well. Dr. waheed would have killed drp by absorbing the educated force who are still reluctant to join mdp. During the run up to the mdp elections, I was reading the government websites and was surprised to see all the vilification of ibra on their sites. At that time I was pretty confused as I thought their aim would be to revile Dr.waheed since he is a much bigger threat in the long term. Now I know.. they were just playing the game and I think the government knew all along that the person they disparage would be gettin better support from the mdp public. Now both DRP and MDP are happy with the elected individuals..

at the end of the day I think its adduians who suffered greatly in this mdp election. I also think that mdp knew that if they have held a nation wide poll the party will be filled by adduians since most of their members are from this atoll. I think the DRP wanted anyone but Dr.waheed and they got their wish.

The above post are just my random ponderings regarding the mdp election. The thoughts are not necessarily true or factual. I urge the readers seek their own truth. for those who email me about the factual errors in my writing and those who email slander on issues they do not agree, please do not email me as I will not reply, you are more than welcome to correct the error by leaving a public feedback.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home